Saturday, March 16, 2013

Childcraft

When Beth was four years old a traveling salesman came to the door and sold Dan a set of encyclopedias. That was 1985. I was mad at the time that he spent so much money!! We no longer have the encyclopedias. The Internet is way easier and up to date. But we still have the "free" gift of Childcraft books that came with the set.



I didn't use them that much with my bio kids. Occcasionally we used them for a reference if they were writing a report. But I used them a lot when I taught third grade. They are written at about a third grade reading level. I would sometimes copy excerpts on something we were studying in class for the kids to read.

But Mia loves these books. She has learned all the basic fairy tales from them. Last weekend she brought out the craft volume and wanted to make a craft. We chose bottle cap boats. We thought we would make four and race them.



They got wet fast and sunk even faster.



In comes the engineer. "We're going to need a bigger boat," he says. If you are too young to remember the movie Jaws I apologize. He engineered away and voila!



We got out our straws. Blowing away, we forced our boats across the sea.



I'm not mentioning any names, but one of us elderly people was across first. The one with hair.

The girls then played with them in the kitchen sink for awhile.



Thank you, Childcraft, for a fun afternoon!



No comments: